Drumroll please…Top 10 Baby!
1) Up the fiber. This keeps your colon clean and rids your body of toxins so they don’t come out through your pores. Think healthy whole grains, high fiber fruits (with skin or seeds- apples, pears, all the berries, grapefruit and kiwi). Raw vegi’s are awesome too! Red bell peppers are loaded with anti-aging vitamin C & so many more nutrients- Dr. Oz says they’re like natural botox! Sugar snap peas, snow peas and celery all have fiber, cucumber (very hydrating), cherry tomatoes…whatever vegetables you like, eat it and eat it raw. Raw vegetables balance our pH and alkaline the body.
2) Foods high in zinc help clear the skin bc it’s an antibacterial agent. Think sunflower & pumpkin seeds, cashews, wheat germ, chickpeas, grass fed beef, spinach and mushrooms.
3) Avoid: alcohol, fried foods, chocolate (the good dark stuff is a different story, I’m talkin’ shitty 7/11 options), spicy foods, soda, sugar and processed junk food.
4) Keep your hands to yourself 😉 Try to not touch your face. I know it’s hard, but the germs from our hands make it even worse. Change your pillow case twice per week. During the night our eyes drip, we drool, sweat- resting your face for 6-8 hours on a clean, bacteria free surface is huge! Also switch out your face towel twice a week. I also wipe our phones down with rubbing alcohol once a week. Think of all the places our phones are set and then we put them against our face- gross.
5) Highly reduce dairy. A lot of non-organic dairy contains hormones and steroids that screw with our hormonal balance.
6) Consume Coconut Oil both internally and topically as a face oil. I use it like a lotion before putting on sweats and getting in bed. Yes you’ll be a little greasy but you’re going to sleep so who cares and by morning the only side effect is moisturized skin. Coconut oil is anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and anti fungal and is also great for your immune system and reducing body fat.
9) Say no to stress. Stress contributes to skin problems as it’s a way for our body to react. If meditating isn’t your thing, just sitting in quiet for a few minutes and breathing deep through your nose does help.
10) Take a look at the ingredients list on the products you’re using. The skincare industry is poorly regulated, they haven’t passed a law since 1938! We’ve only banned 11 chemicals while the UK has banned 1300. Majority of products contain sulfates, parabens, fragrance, petrochemicals and more toxins that contribute to anything from breakouts, skin irritation, hormonal disruption, fertility problems to cancer. Take into consideration everything that touches your face and body– from detergent, lotion, body wash, shampoo, face wash, creams, shave gel, etc. I work with an incredible non toxic skincare company, Beautycounter, that has safe, high performing products. www.beautycounter.com/jilllawrence