A perfectly cushy mattress, sheets resting softly on your body and a pillow that hugs your face… I want to get in bed right now! So why are Americans getting an average of 6.8 hours of sleep? Our lovely bods are craving and require between 8-9 hours. When humans are sleep deprived, it ain’t pretty! We get dumber, grumpier, slower and stupid. That was blunt but true. We also crave fatty, high sugar foods, miss our workout and make lots of foolish mistakes.
Poor sleep immediately shows it’s negative effects. Say we chose to stay up late to see who got the Bachelor’s final rose, uh not me, this was a friend…well missing those zzz’s impacts brain cognition and health, hormones, exercise performance and more. On the flip side, who cares about that damn rose if I’m waking up thorny from no sleep. A full 8 hour luxurious conk out makes me sharp, hormonally balanced, happier, more energetic and even reduced my chances for disease.
My 5 favorite sleep secrets to get in bed early and stay there dreaming all night!
1) Save the bed for sleeping or sex! We want to create a physiological reaction to our bedroom for lying or loving! Don’t bring work to bed. And especially keep serious or heated conversations out of the bedroom. And yes, you can get heated between the sheets later!
2) Bed, pillow, sheets… trade up! How long have you been sleeping on a dented in pillow? Or sheets that feel like sand paper? Nothing is more motivating to get in bed early that a high thread count and new pillow! Make sure to replace with organic, unbleached materials and a pillow ethically stuffed without feathers plucked from a live birds body. That karma will leave you with nightmares.
3) Feng Shui Bae Bae! The Chinese belief that all our possessions carry energy and arranging in a way to bring love, happiness, success and more. First- keep underneath the bed clear. Who wants old photo memories or Grandma’s keepsakes sending their energy into our sleepy time. As well, keep the room about you or your loving relationship. Everything should be in pairs. If you’re single, frame a few photos that instill love, happiness, contentment for you. It can be a gorgeous picture of yourself that you just love. Something from one of your nature adventures…anything that puts YOU in the energy of romance and love. For now, you could even frame a picture of your animals cuddling and demonstrating intimacy. ❤️
4) Get Un-Social. There needs to be a separation between work/ go mode and rest and recover. One hour before bedtime, put your phone on silent & Airplane Mode. When on✈️ mode you are not exposed to WiFi, radiation or EMF’s- electromagnetic frequencies. Dim all the lights that hour before bed so your body can get into sleepy mode. Including turning off all electronic devices so you’re not exposed to blue light. If you are watching TV or working on the computer, purchase a pair of “blue blocker” glasses to prevent sleep disruptions, headache and eye strain.
5) Set a bedtime. Then you know what time to base your routine around. That “night time routine” can involve a bath, meditation, cuddling your pet, doing the whole hygiene routine, dimming the lights… whatever signals to your body the evening is winding down.
Still can’t sleep?
Read a pleasure book. Drink some tart cherry juice or munch on dried uncultured cherries. Say your prayers. Journal out your worries and what’s keeping you up. Go through your day recounting all you’re grateful for. Masterbate! Yup. Good for your sexual health & you’ll sleep great!
Which will you incorporate first? I’d love to hear. Tweet me or chat with me on facebook here: Jill Anenberg Lawrence
If you’re ready to take your health and life to the next level, schedule a “Health Consultation” with me! One conversation could change your life! It doesn’t matter where you live, I work with clients all over the map and would love to chat with you! Click here!